Tuesday 15 April 2014

THE PROSTATE HERB PART 2

PART 2

GUINEA HEN WEED (ANAMU) (Petiveria alliacea) 

THE PROSTATE HERB  

By Nzinga Nzinga



Being particularly interested in diabetic remedies, I checked around and found out that there was very little documentation linking anamu as a remedy for diabetes. Let me add these two words ‘as yet’.  As to its effect on diabetes, I learn that though it has not been widely researched, it has been clinically documented to have anti-diabetic properties. This finding would seem to endorse herbal medicine practice in Cuba where anamu has been used as a herbal aid for diabetes for many years. When it comes to the medical service in Cuba, I am a great admirer. 

If it is good enough for Cubans, it is good enough for me. Where else on this planet have we seen any nation so small and so politically and economically ‘embargoed’ and harassed as Cuba, yet helping so many other countries in the field of health? Notwithstanding my positive vibes towards Cuba, my Caribbean neighbour, it would be remiss of me to omit the following report I gleaned from the Internet: “This plant has been shown to have hypoglycaemic effects in mice. People with hypoglycaemia and diabetes should not use this plant unless they are under the care of a healthcare practitioner to monitor their blood sugar levels.”

I mentioned that it is also called garlic weed in Jamaica. Apropos this is what Dr. Vendryes says about it:
“The research published on anamu now validates many of the historical uses of this herb. Interestingly, the researchers found that of the 20 compounds isolated from the plant – several of which had never been identified in nature before – some were similar to compounds found in garlic, a plant known to have medicinal properties.”

This could explain the ‘unpleasant’ scent which folks associate with this plant. I do believe that it is a garlic smell. Although my generous friend, who was transporting it in her car for me, wrapped it in several folds of newspaper to prevent it from ‘stinking’ up her car, the scent still came through loud and clear! Garlic is one of my primary natural remedies so the fact that anamu has some of the compounds contained in garlic, makes it even more acceptable and endearing to me.

Guinea Hen Weed is now established by laboratory investigations to possess active properties that can retard the growth of several strains of cancer and leukaemia cells. I was very happy to read that the ‘compounds in Anamu were able to differentiate between normal and cancer cells, killing only the cancerous cells’. For folks like me who fail to come to terms with the way the harsh conventional therapies like chemotherapy and radiation, unable to differentiate between cancer and non-cancer cells, insult or kill healthy non-cancerous cells, Guinea Hen Weed, with such a differentiating property, is like a welcome miracle herb.

Many clinical reports and studies document that Anamu shows broad-spectrum antimicrobial properties against numerous strains of bacteria, viruses, fungi, and yeast. A Cuban research group documented Anamu's antimicrobial properties. A German group documented good activity against several bacteria. Its antimicrobial activity was further demonstrated by researchers from Jamaica (Dr. Henry Lowe, a schoolmate of mine. Go deh my brother!), Guatemala and Austria.

Directions for use: Use one heaping tablespoon of the whole powdered plant to one litre of hot water. Drink about half a cup (four ounces) of this tea on an empty stomach twice daily. Infusion from whole herb 1/4-1/2 cup 2-3 times daily. Capsules: 1-3 g daily. Take 2-3 capsules twice daily.

Traditional Preparation: The traditional remedy calls for a decoction or infusion prepared with 30 grams of dried Anamu whole herb in a litre of water; 1/4 to 1/2 cup dosages are taken one to three times daily or used topically, depending on the condition treated. Since most of the chemicals are water soluble, powdered whole herb in tablets or capsules (1-3 grams) daily can be substituted, if desired.

Contraindications: Guinea Hen Weed is known to cause uterine contractions (contractions of the uterus) that can result in abortion and miscarriage. If this herb were being used solely for prostate problems, therefore for men only, this contra-indication could be ignored, but since it has been proved to be a versatile remedy for both genders, then pregnant women should avoid it. Also, because Anamu contains a low concentration of coumarin, which has a blood thinning effect, people with any bleeding disorder such as haemophilia or who are on blood-thinning medication should avoid it or consult with their doctor before taking it.

TESTIMONIES
A friend, a victim of prostate cancer, to whom I recommended this herb, writes: “Guinea hen weed, aka anamu, is certainly a beneficial weed. It is widely used and its good effect is well known especially among Jamaican men. I remember that you had told me about it, as told to you by a mutual friend. When I was first diagnosed in August/September 2008, my PSA reading was 5.45 (normal is 4.00). I started taking the guinea hen weed then. By November 2008 the reading was 4.17. My cancer was aggressive so I commenced the radiation treatment in early December, 2008 and continued to February 2009, when it ended. In March 2009 the reading was 2.41. My PSA dropped steadily, with minimal “bounces", to a low of 1.19 in September 2010. In March 2011 it bounced to 2.15 but my urologist thinks that the bounces are characteristic of post treatment.  My oncologist believes in guinea hen weed; my urologist does not- "no conclusive clinical trials". I believe in it as you may imagine. It grows generously in our yard. I dry the entire plant-- roots leaves and stems-- and grind it, thus ensuring a ready supply. Dr. Vendryes has written a lot about it. Dr. Williams of the Scientific Research Council, having done extensive research on it, was in consultation with German scientists to secure a patent. I hope that he succeeds.”

The expert on this herb is Jamaican Dr. Henry Lowe, who states inter alia that Jamaica has one of the highest prostate cancer rates in the world with approximately 150 men diagnosed each year. Medical experts believe that a large percentage of affected men are undiagnosed but you don’t have to be a medical expert to realize that. Add to that the fact that some would rather not know and that others are not enthused with the ‘probing finger’ Digital Rectal Examination (DRE). See Appendix for note on DRE. He noted that in addition to Jamaica, numerous cases of prostate cancer have been reported among black Americans and Africans.  You can find out more about Dr. Henry Lowe and Guinea Hen Weed online.  

For interested folks who use the Internet for info, they can Google the many sites providing info on this herb with some advertising the capsules and powder for sale. A Jamaican couple informed me that they get the capsules in Jamaica at the RADA shop at the Ministry of Agriculture just beside the new Jamaica College gate. Capsules: 1-3 g daily. Take 2-3 capsules twice daily.

For those who like to take a little wine, Dominican Mamajuana Liqueur is Anamu liqueur. Cheers!
If you wish to read Jamaican Dr. Vendryes’ article in full, log on to www.anounceofprevention.org.

APPENDIX
Here is the footnote on the Digital Rectal Examination (DRE) for prostate cancer which I promised you.  

This is an X-rated comment.(LOL) Parental Guidance (PG) may be necessary if you are under 16 and unaware of sexual hazards that can come with the male territory. I have contemplated long and hard about including this observation within my book but it is so widely held that I have decided to go ahead and include it. In fact, men with whom I have discussed this particular subject have urged me to include it. At this point, I will dare to touch on a rather sensitive issue in the area of prostate examinations.

I refer to a particular prostate examination, the most common one, called Digital Rectal Examination (DRE). The DRE is a physical examination in which a doctor inserts a lubricated gloved finger (aka as the 'probing finger') into the man’s rectum to feel for lumps, enlargement or areas of hardness that might indicate the presence of cancer. It is supposed to be uncomfortable but not painful, usually lasting only one minute. Medical examiners say that DRE is a bit uncomfortable. That must be the grandmother of understatements!  Quite a few men have told others and me, that they find the very thought of the Digital Rectal Exam extremely embarrassing, humiliating and privacy-invasive. How much more the actual examination itself!

Let me call a spade a spade. Let me put these men’s cards on the table. These men are not homophobic but they say that they are repulsed by this rectal test where the urologist uses his finger to perform it. Urologists are usually of the male gender. Some, though not all of the examinees, might find this test an ordeal because they feel that a man is violating them homosexually. There, I’ve said the unpalatable and I guess I will have to take the consequences! I say all this to say that many men when considering prostate screening are aware of only the DRE and are scared breathless of it. Therefore, the reluctance to consult a doctor or a urologist may have its roots in another kind of fear and not only in the fear of discovering a serious prostate disease like cancer.

Give it a thought! I suggest, with tongue-in-cheekiness that if this homophobic consideration is proving to be a deterrent from taking the probing 'male' finger test, why not consult a female urologist? That’s something to think about! Ain'it?

END OF GUINEA HEN WEED/ANAMU STORY 
 All the images were taken from the Internet and I claim no copyright. 

1 comment:

  1. WHAT A GREAT MIRACLE THAT I HAVE EVER SEE IN MY LIFE. My names are Clara David I’m a citizen of USA, My younger sister was sicking of
    breast cancer and her name is Sandra David I and my family have taking her
    to all kind of hospital in USA still yet no good result. I decided to go to
    the internet and search for cancer cure so that was how I find a lady
    called peter Lizzy she was testifies to the world about the goodness of a
    herbal man who has the roots and herbs to cure all kind of disease and the
    herbal man email was there. So I decided to contact the herbal man @herbalist_sakura for my younger sister help to cure her breast cancer. I contacted him and told him
    my problem he told me that I should not worry that my sister cancer will be
    cure, he told me that there is a medicine that he is going to give me that
    I will cook it and give it to my sister to drink for one week, so I ask how
    can I receive the cure that I am in USA, he told me
    That I will pay for the delivery service. The courier service can
    transport it to me so he told me the amount I will pay, so my dad paid for
    the delivery fee. two days later I receive the cure from the courier
    service so I used it as the herbal man instructed me to, before the week
    complete my sister cancer was healed and it was like a dream to me not
    knowing that it was physical I and my family were very happy about the
    miracle of Doctor so my dad wanted to pay him 5 million us dollars the
    herbal man did not accept the offer from my dad, but I don't know why he
    didn't accept the offer, he only say that I should tell the world about him
    and his miracle he perform so am now here to tell the world about him if
    you or your relative is having any kind of disease that you can't get from
    the hospital please contact dr.sakuraspellalter@gmail.com or whats app him
    +2348110114739  you can follow him up on Instagram @herbalist_sakura for the cure, he will help you out with the
    problem. And if you need more information about the doctor you can mail me
    davidclara223@gmail.com 

    ReplyDelete